Update for Secondary Schools and Junior Club Rugby

The Counties Manukau Rugby Union’s Junior Management Board has made the decision to cancel the remainder of the junior rugby season due to the current COVID levels in Auckland following a meeting with club delegates and Union representatives on Tuesday night.

With the rest of the country continuing to be in alert level 2, a decision was also made to allow the Union’s Waikato-based clubs – Onewhero, Maramarua, Te Kauwhata and Tuakau – club exchange and training can commence from September 18.

However, if Waikato-based clubs wish to play games from next week, they will be required to present plans to the CMRFU by 5pm on Friday, September 11 on how they intend to follow strict COVID protocols which will need to be signed off before matches can take place.

In addition, while most clubs voted to cancel the remainder of the junior rugby season, Auckland-based clubs, Patumahoe and Drury, have permission for their junior teams to be given the green light to play an exchange between the two clubs, on the proviso that Auckland moves down to alert level 2 and they follow the same strict protocols as their counterparts in the Waikato region.

After much deliberation, the JMB executive committee has also agreed to this request for a club-to-club exchange as long as COVID safety plans are presented to the CMRFU by 5pm on Thursday, September 17. These will need to be signed off before matches can take place.

Neither of the Auckland-based clubs will be able to train until the region returns to alert level 2 at a minimum and, again, strict criteria around training protocols will need to be followed.

Meanwhile, a decision has also been made by the CMRFU to officially cancel the remaining scheduled secondary school games this season.

In addition, and due to the uncertainty around COVID, any plans to hold an inter-schools rugby tournament in September have also been scrapped.

However, should Auckland move back to level 2 next week, schools that wish to play rugby will be given the green light to arrange friendly fixtures amongst themselves for September 19 and September 26 as long as they follow the appropriate safety protocols.

Those schools wishing to request referees should these matches take place will need to contact the CMRFU with their requirements before midday on Thursday, September.