We are writing this to provide an update on the latest news in relation to Covid-19 and how it might impact rugby in our region.
The wellbeing of our employees, fans, players, coaches, referees and other volunteers in the rugby community is our top priority.
And as such, we are continuing to monitor the rapidly changing situation regarding coronavirus while staying in regular contact with New Zealand Rugby and will be looking to provide regular updates as more news comes to hand.
With Super Rugby having recently been indefinably suspended due to the self-isolation requirements imposed by the New Zealand Government at the weekend on international travellers, the future of our upcoming Chiefs v Stormers game at Navigation Homes Stadium remains up in the air.
A decision has been made to stop selling tickets until further notice and an official decision on whether the match, currently mooted for April 25, will go ahead is made.
As for community rugby and, in particular, our club and school competitions, at present those games will continue to go ahead as scheduled. But we need to be prepared for a potential change in this area as the situation develops.
We are seeking an update from NZR on the situation and they, in turn, continue to be guided by Ministry of Health advice as it remains current.
The Government has said that it will provide more details on mass gatherings on Tuesday and as soon as we have any further information, we will provide an update. But for the time being there is no restriction on mass gatherings or community activities.
We would advise that clubs and schools are mindful of the current situation and continue to monitor the health of their players and support personnel closely while looking to put in place appropriate measures around hygiene and cleanliness.
Please be sure to communicate to anyone involved with your clubs and schools that they should not attend practice or games if they feel unwell, or are concerned at the risk of attending, and that those who do attend should follow all the recommended protocols such as regular hand washing, no handshaking, hongis, etc and where possible avoid close physical contact.
In the event that one of your players feels unwell or tests positive for Covid-19 please immediately notify Counties Manukau Rugby by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org and Annette.email@example.com.
We will be working closely with our Council of Delegates to determine what decisions need to be made around our club competitions should the above eventuate.
We have also made the decision to postpone our upcoming primary school rugby tournaments until further notice and have cancelled our Radicool Rugby initiative that was originally scheduled to take place at Pulman Park this Friday.
Please continue to check back on this page for regular updates or contact our organisation directly if you have any questions.
These are unprecedented times and we thank you for your understanding and support.