Our key role is to lead and support health promotion initiatives to:
- promote health and wellbeing and encourage healthy lifestyles
- prevent disease, illness and injury
- enable environments that support health, wellbeing and healthy lifestyles
- reduce personal, social and economic harm.
Te Hiringa Hauora has alcohol-specific functions to:
- give advice and make recommendations to government, government agencies, industry, non-government bodies, communities, health professionals and others on the sale, supply, consumption, misuse and harm of alcohol as those matters relate to Te Hiringa Hauora general functions
- undertake, or work with others, to research alcohol use and public attitudes to alcohol in New Zealand and problems associated with, or consequent on, alcohol misuse.