Decisions made on community rugby competitions after lockdown extends

In line with current Government alert levels and restrictions, New Zealand Rugby advised that on the provison that Auckland moves to level 2 at 11.59pm on Sunday, August 30 the following restrictions will be in place for rugby teams:

  • Training can resume from next Monday
  • But teams can only train in bubbles of no more than 10 (including coaching and support staff). For clarity, this means you cannot train as a full squad
  • Contact, however, is permitted within those bubbles but you must ensure that these bubbles cannot mingle, merge or swap
  • Clubs must adhere to strict hygiene protocols when they do commence training

Please see below for an update on what the latest guidance means for senior club competitions, junior club rugby and our secondary schools space.


On the basis of the latest advice from NZR and following agreement from all clubs at the Council of Delegates meeting on August 17, a decision has been made to advance our Premier 1, 2 and 3 competitions straight to semi-finals on Saturday, September 12 with finals a week later on Saturday, September 19.

Due to the 10-person restrictions, we are unfortunately no longer going to be in place to play quarter-finals as originally planned on Saturday, September 5.

In the other grades, the U21 final between Patumahoe and Manurewa is likely to be played as the curtain raiser for the PIC Steelers season-opener against Tasman at Navigation Homes Stadium at 4pm on September 12. The U85 grades will have semi-finals and finals on the same dates as Premier 1 and 2.

For all applicable grades, final rankings are determined as per the respective competition standings after the last round robin matches played on August 8.

The CMRFU and Council of Delegates acknowledge the disruption and ultimate disappointment this means for some clubs.

However, we remain determined to have our club season completed with the appropriate finals and the awarding of relative trophies to the winners.

The new schedule for club rugby finals is below. Please note that further decisions, including the time and venue for matches, will be determined as more information is received from the New Zealand Government on the restrictions regarding the number of people who may gather at any one time.

Under a potential alert level 2 with gatherings restricted to 100 people, the matches below will need to be played at managed venues without crowds.

Saturday, September 12:

Premier 1 –  SF1 Ardmore Marist v Manurewa; SF2 Karaka v Bombay

Premier 2 -  SF1 Ardmore Marist v Pukekohe; SF2 Karaka v Patumahoe

Under 21 – Final Patumahoe v Manurewa curtain raiser to PIC Steelers v Tasman match 4pm

Premier 3 - SF1 Te Kauwhata v Patumahoe; SF2 Ardmore Marist v Puni

Under 85kg – SF1 Waiuku v Patumahoe; SF2 Pukekohe v Papakura


Meanwhile, the Junior Management Board met on Wednesday night to discuss the status of junior rugby within the Counties Manukau region.

It was determined that no rugby training could go ahead during the current Level 2 rules in Auckland which currently limit gatherings to 10 people.

The JMB has also agreed to meet again on Monday, September 7 following the Government’s planned update to make a final decision on when, if at all, junior rugby may be able to go ahead again.

Information on this decision will be communicated as soon as possible after the meeting.


In the secondary school rugby space, the CMRFU has also met with representatives from our local secondary schools to discuss a way forward for these competitions.

A decision was made to cancel the remaining scheduled secondary school matches and it was further agreed there would be no secondary schools rugby played in our region until September 19 at the earliest.

With the scheduled competitions cancelled, the CMRFU is now working with our schools to create some meaningful competition for our rugby players. This is likely to be a tournament of some sort and further information will be distributed as and when decisions are made.