The Government’s decision last week to extend the COVID-19 alert level 2.5 in Auckland until at least 11:59pm on Wednesday, September 16 will have a significant impact on rugby within the Counties Manukau region.
Please see below for the latest updates in relation to both community and professional rugby.
The decision last week means attendance for this weekend’s Mitre 10 Cup season-opener against Tasman at Navigation Homes Stadium will be heavily restricted. The corporate lounge will be restricted to just 100 people in line with the Government’s guidance regarding event facilities under the current alert levels. The Supporters’ Club will also be restricted to just 100 guests while 100 people will be allowed to attend in the main grandstand and a further 100 on the grass embankment. All different groups will have to follow strict COVID protocols - the detail of which will be communicated out them in the coming days. Any season ticket holders will be given priority access to the venue ahead of individual ticket purchasers. If you hold a season ticket or have purchased a ticket to the Tasman game, we will contact you as soon as possible.
There are a limited number of Embankment tickets available (pre purchase only). There will be no gate sales.
Senior Club Rugby:
The Council of Delegates will be meeting at 7:30pm on Monday, September 7 to determine when, if at all, any club competitions will proceed. While club teams are able to train in bubbles of 10 under the current level 2.5 restrictions, no community rugby can take place until Auckland returns to level 2 at a minimum. As a result, this weekend’s planned under-21s final will not be able to proceed as scheduled. A full summary of the decision made by CODs on Monday night will be circulated on Tuesday to all clubs and published on the CMRFU website.
Junior Club Rugby:
The Junior Management Board will be meeting at 7:00pm on Tuesday, September 8 to determine when, if at all, any club competitions will proceed. All junior teams have currently been asked by the JMB to refrain from training under the current alert levels and no community rugby can take place until Auckland returns to level 2 at a minimum. A full summary of the decision made by the JMB on Monday night will be circulated on Wednesday to all clubs and published on the CMRFU website.
Secondary Schools Rugby:
At present, a decision has already been made that no secondary schools rugby will take place in the Counties Manukau region before September 19 at the earliest. In light of the Government announcement last Friday, the CMRFU intends to meet with key personnel from our secondary schools in the coming days and will communicate any further decisions in regards to these competitions as soon as possible.
website by 72DPI